Tuesday, July 21, 2009

no such thing as frienemies.

“Friend” is a term tossed around too loosely
Defined incongruently,
In some cases uselessly.

See, a “friend” to some is an acquaintance to most.
You know about my life,
But not my deepest motivation.
You are sustained enough by details of my tumultuous relationship,
But wouldn’t tell me if he was cheating.
U expect me to lie for you,
But when it comes down to the wire,
Show me no respect.

You’ve got my back in a fight,
But when in a spat with me,
Attempt to cut deepest at first blow.
Lord knows
To protect me from my friends,
I can take care of my enemies.

Defending me,
Would be too much to ask.
So I don’t.

After all,
Friends don’t need to be asked.

So I thank my acquaintances,
For fun, senseless conversation,
And motivation
To stay true to the people who
I may not speak to every day,
But who ground me with
Honesty,
Sincerity,
Generosity,
Respect,
And love.
Most of all love.

No comments:

Post a Comment